I AM "The Help"

I've received great feedback so far, thanks so much for reading!  And "Unknown" even commented on a post…love it!

As a dogsitter, I come into contact with a lot of housekeepers, and I have learned a certain "code" between the different helpers around the home.  For instance, I have been staying at a lovely place, where a housekeeper comes 5 days a week…I imagine when the kids were younger, they needed her that much.  Anyway, she comes in about an hour late, leaves very early sometimes, and watches lots of TV.  Oh, and she ate the last bagel.  But she's a great lady and has been in the family forever.  Our boss, the lady of the house, even makes jokes and knows Quita's habits.

Another time, a few years ago, I was taking care of two sweet pups in a really, really fine house.  State of the art stuff: a painting on the wall could flip around and become the TV, the kitchen had like three different sinks and refrigerators and washers and ovens.  The lights were controlled by buttons with the name of the room/light.  For example, "Study overhead."  There were remote controls for the curtains!!!  It was awesome.  But the housekeeper sucked.  She was a bitch.  Now, I do not expect anyone to clean up after me all the time, because I do have decent manners (I put my dishes in the dishwasher, etc).  Quita only makes the bed and cleans the bathroom the day I leave.  And she makes the bed much much better than I do.

Anyway, this other lady, LaDonna, wouldn't so much as even acknowledge my presence.  I had a glass of juice, and with all the contraptions and inventions around the kitchen, I honestly didn't know what to do with the empty glass.  So I left it on the counter by the sink, and while LaDonna came every day, it never moved.  One day, the owner, Tina, called and asked me to remind LaDonna about some workmen coming by, and she wanted her there to direct and instruct them.  When I followed the orders I was given, to remind LaDonna, who was in the closet folding underwear, she said, "I'm too busy.  I am polishing silver today" without even looking at me.  I just explained that Tina had called and asked about it, said I wouldn't be there.  I am not kidding, she said, "If I can.  I am very busy."

Other housekeepers are amazing.  Some actually do my laundry and clean the bathroom and change the sheets.  Those situations are a major bonus.  But what gets me every single time--and I have been staying in people's homes and taking care of their dogs for over seven years--is what to do when the dog poops in the house.  Is it mine or hers to clean?  It's confusing, because technically the housekeeper cleans and I am responsible for the shameless dog.  I am definitely not saying that a housekeeper and I have a standoff and leave the mess there for days, which is what I mean about a "code."  I clean up a mess if it happens and if I see it, obviously.  Otherwise, I assume it is taken care of.  So, if Zelda or Quita or Lydia don't tell on me that the dog went in the house, I won't tell on them for being late or eating the last bagel.  I wouldn't ever have told Tina that LaDonna was a complete ass.  Plus, what are they going to do?  "Please do not eat anything in the pantry or fridge until Shannon has eaten" doesn't exactly fly.  Plus, I am rarely awake that early.

Sometimes people have actually cleaned around me.  They are just as confused as me.  For example, one nice lady made my bed, but (and I would never expect this!) did not pick any of my clothes off the floor.  It's funny and a bit endearing.

This is not meant to be offensive or derogatory, because that is not my style.  I am, however, amazed at how much interaction I have with different housekeepers on a weekly basis.  I was raised to clean up after myself…don't even get me started, a great subject for a future post.

Oh, and, most importantly, it is very rare that a dog goes in the house on my watch.
But, *#it happens.

Comments

Post a Comment

Everyone is now able to post comments. I love me some feedback!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!