Coulda. Woulda? Shoulda!

Regret is not something anyone should ever waste any time on.  It's done.  It happened.  Sometimes I worry that I don't regret--someone once said in response, "you're a better person than me."  Considering who said it, I am inclined to agree with him.  Trust me, you would too.  So, this post title is exactly how I feel about what could have been.  Moving forward is much trickier if you're walking backwards.

Perfect example: a few months ago, I was with a group of girls, and one, Elizabeth, asked another, Carrie, about her job.  But I answered for Carrie!  And, I couldn't stop, which made it worse.  But at that moment, I don't think I knew any better or realized what I was doing.  Elizabeth kept asking questions and I kept answering.  To my credit, I did know something about Carrie's job and what was being asked, but not nearly enough to keep flapping my gums.
Maybe I'm being hard on myself, but I would have wanted to slap me.  It's annoying!!!

It's hard to be "present."  The type of focus that requires us to be aware of what we are saying and to whom.  How are others perceiving our actions?  Better yet, does it matter?  But I learned a little more about presence after that embarrassing episode.  It comes a little more naturally, to zip my lips at times, and how I'm acting.  Not that it's phony, far from that, but realizing there really isn't a time or a place, so its best to say nada.

Whether that is what happens as we grow up, gain confidence or something only some of us can learn, I have no idea.  I don't regret what happened, I just learned from it.  Of course I could have stayed quiet, but would I have?  Evidently not!  I just should have, otherwise I wouldn't be boring you fine people with this anecdote.  It's fairly safe to say that in the future, I can do something, which eliminates the impending issue of woulda and shoulda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!