Fasholes

The red carpet--any red carpet is one of my favorite pastimes.  I love fashion, which is probably a big part of it.  So it's only natural that I have E!'s "Fashion Police" set to record every new episode.  Admittedly, Joan Rivers makes me crazy, I don't know what qualifications Giuliana Rancic or Kelly Osbourne have, but I do love George Kotsiopoulos.  Sometimes the jokes go a bit too far, almost as if the panel are bullies.  During awards season, Kelly Osbourne in particular constantly says, "If you had seen this dress in person…"  Well Kel, we DIDN'T, and we get it, you were there.

It's so interesting how easy it is to judge people without even knowing them.  These 4 are ruthless, and the Oscars are no exception.  They generally favor Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Lopez, but this year Angelina Jolie won Joan's Worst Dressed award because her poses were obnoxious (which really were; her leg out through the slit of her dress).  Oddly, George chose Gwyneth Paltrow as Best Dressed and Worst Dressed.  I don't totally understand that, but he seems to be a great stylist, and I would hire him in a second if I were in the position.

But who gave these people the authority to decide who looked amazing and who didn't?  I get that it's all in fun and for entertainment, but they should practice what they preach.  Kelly Osbourne sports gray hair (at the ripe old age of 27), and I have trouble imagining Giuliana picks out her clothes, considering all her work on TV.  Last year, from the Golden Globes through the MTV Movie awards, every single week Kelly harped on people who didn't wear Spanx.  She thinks they are necessary no matter how skinny you are because seeing the shape of a belly button or panty lines is unacceptable.  I don't disagree, but:

  That looks like some bunching around her rump, which is a major fashion no-no.

I caught every second of the red carpet I possibly could.  I thought Kristen Wiig looked gorgeous, loved Rose Byrne and Jennifer Lopez's dresses.  Rachel Zoe led Cameron Diaz in the right direction, too.  I want to like Viola Davis' as much as everyone else seemed to, and I don't know why I can't.  I did, however, love the bright green color and the bottom detail of her Vera Wang gown.  A lot of people made a big deal that Emma Stone wore a dress too similar to Nicole Kidman's 2007 dress, but I think Emma always looks great.

To me, fashion is subjective.  I stay within the trends and current styles, but I also wear what makes me look or feel really great.  That's the most important factor, because when we feel great we look great.  I have also never dressed for men.  I hear from my married friends about certain trends their husbands think look ridiculous.  Which likely explains why men don't approach me!  Haha.  Though, I would be weary of a guy who paid too much attention to my wardrobe.

But it's a fact: we make snap judgements about people by what they are wearing.  I am guilty myself.  But I try catch myself and say, "I am sure they are a great person."  Someone who looks great, I think, "they must have a lovely life and absolutely no problems," which are both inappropriate and [likely] false assumptions.  The Fashion Police ripped Rooney Mara apart over her Givenchy dress for the Oscars, even though it was obvious she was nervous and shy among all the hubbub.  The show and the host's opinions really shouldn't be taken too seriously.  If so, it suggests a gigantic stick up where the sun doesn't shine.



Comments

  1. Her dress was just awful. Bless her heeeeaaaaart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Everyone is now able to post comments. I love me some feedback!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!