Can't Hear Me Now??

I apologize to my loyal readers (Mom) for not posting in a while.

Last week I got a new cell phone, which is the best feeling.  With my cell plan I get an upgrade every 18 months, which honestly felt like 18 years!  A phone that is normally over $600 though, I got for $125, so it definitely "pays" to wait.  I had a countdown application on my old phone counting down the last six weeks, and bought a really cool case the week before.  To say I was excited is mild.

So why, a few hours after having it, did I ignore a call?

We spend exorbitant amounts of money for the latest and greatest in phones, computers, TVs and more.  So why do I feel like whenever I call someone, they "ignore" or send it straight to voicemail?  I was immediately irritated with myself and called right back, though I knew why she was calling and what my answer would be.  By not communicating, do we think we actually are communicating?

I am just as guilty.  Talking on a cell phone is a pain, especially because it gets so hot against my face, sometimes the connection is lousy and I'm notorious for accidentally hanging up which then results in the "do I call her or does she call me?"  Days have gone by where I sent calls to voicemail, and I really, really hate checking my voicemail.  But it's brutal when I want to get in touch with someone and they don't return my call or email or text.

Why do we spend so much time and money on gadgets we don't seem to use?  For their games?  Their look?  Has anyone seen the lines outside an Apple store whenever a new phone is launced?  Are those people really even using their phones to talk?  I realize that a phone should be used for our own convenience and I am firm believer of that.  So then why does my generation put their cell phones on the table during lunch or dinner with friends or family?  For people who seem so eager to receive calls, they sure don't answer them.  It drives me insane when someone talks on their phone or answers an unimportant call when I'm with them.  Now, there are exceptions to every rule: yesterday I had breakfast with a friend, and one of her brothers called, then her other brother, so she answered, but was off the phone in a matter of seconds; because what if something had happened and they were trying to get in touch with her?

The worst is when I realize everyone I'm with is either texting or on the phone!  Have we lost the importance of human contact?  Or manners altogether???  I know a gal who spends the entire time we are together checking her phone.  It's rude and annoying, so I don't call her for meals or drinks anymore.  People say they are listening, but the next week she was asking me questions--not the kind usually asked when someone is paying attention.  There are just so many different ways of contacting people that the "I didn't get the message" excuse has become obsolete.  At the risk of sounding like a total leper, I've also been the recipient of, "I called, you didn't get the message?!"  I call BS.

Comments

Post a Comment

Everyone is now able to post comments. I love me some feedback!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!