Shopping. The Fashion of My Life.

I have many, many thoughts on fashion.  I follow new trends, read fashion magazines and blogs religiously.  I've worked retail and loved every second of it.  I like to think I have great taste and decent fashion, because I choose to believe people when they compliment me on something I'm wearing.

I have a friend, Alexis, who says that every time she sees me she wants to change into what I'm wearing, which I find hilariously flattering and endearing.  Talk about a major ego boost!  I am not anywhere near a size 4 and my clothes are nothing more than different pieces found different places.  I follow two easy methods: comfort and confidence.  When a woman feels great she inevitably looks great, too.  One hint I've learned is to avoid looking in the mirror when I feel or imagine I look amazing.  It's amazing what the subconscious can do.  Of course, that kind of hits the fan if or when pictures are taken.

When I was 12 years old, 90s fashion was focusing on minimalism and waifs.  Kate Moss was the ideal image, so to speak.  I've yo-yoed in weight for years, hated the way I looked and even hated myself because I felt so disgusting.  Fortunately, through the years I have come to realize that my body is not my enemy.  I am not absolutely certain when the calmness came, but I have learned to accept my figure and work with what I've got.  But, it's not so easy as it sounds.

There are so many things I feel like I have "missed out" on with my size.  Super great jeans, dresses and really cute bikinis.  But it's no big deal anymore, though I am not sure why.  I just am who I am.  I am not some Lane Bryant chick who runs around everywhere saying I love the way I look and I love my body.  Not that there is anything wrong with those gals.  Yea for them.

Back to fashion: having bared such personal information, I have learned what I can and cannot wear.  I am a funky fit, so if I happen to find a dress that fits and looks good, I buy it because one day I will need it.  I look for classic styles in dresses because they last.

I buy my jeans at the Gap.  I used to sell them for $200, and while I understand the difference in the jeans, the expensive pair don't necessarily outlast the cheaper.  J Brand makes amazing jeans--they last forever and are really well made.  But, I have a hard time finding the right fit and I don't want to spend that much on jeans unless they are sewn with actual gold.  Jeans will always and forever be staples of fashion and styles change so much all the time.  A lot of women could be open to jeans that are a lot less expensive, though I know that each style fits differently.  Levi's, for instance; aren't they the original designer of jeans??  Though it's not ideal to wear your waist size where everyone can see it.  A great pair of classic jeans in a darker wash that are long enough to touch the floor when wearing heels and free of any holes are absolutely necessary for every woman.

People ask me all the time to go shopping with them.  I say I would love to because I really would love to!  I try not to say or offer things I don't mean.  On the few times I have been shopping with friends who want help, they haven't listened to a thing I said.  I am not an expert, nor do I suffer from the delusion that I am.  But this I know: labels don't always matter.  This is a little vague, because of course it can matter.  Buying a top at Francesca's or Urban Outfitters is fine, as long as I remember I might only get a couple wears from it.  The key is to know what to spend more money on and where to save.  I would spend extra on a nice top because that is a tricky area for me.  

What I am trying to say is that there are options.  For example, as much as I despise admitting this, I have Jessica Simpson shoes.  I've lied before and said they were something else, such as Prada, because it's embarrassing and awful that I contribute to her empire.  But they are affordable and look pretty good.  Granted, I usually buy her stuff in solid colors or basic styles because that is where serious money can be saved.  If Stuart Weitzman sold the same shoe for $200 more, I go with the shameful pair.  I like owning nice things, but I know that I am really rough on my shoes.  Of course I want a pair of Louboutins!!

What frustrates me are magazine photo shoots with ridiculously expensive clothes and accessories.  For instance, Julia Roberts is on the cover of Vanity Fair, and inside is a whole conversation she has about being a "real" person, yet she is draped in "price upon request" clothing.  Stars go on and on about being down to earth and approachable, but they are displaying fashion that contradicts that very statement.  Harry Winston jewelry and über designer clothes out of the target audience price range.  While I love the spreads with beautiful editorial fashion, I would rather look at those photos than the ones accompanying a celebrity interview.

A while ago I went to a baby shower in an Ivanka Trump dress.  Now, I cannot really stand the public image the Trumps put out, but I got a million compliments.  I've also got some cotton J.Crew dresses that are great for summer and have had for over six years.  They are basic and plain, but that is what scarves or jewelry or great shoes are for.  When I find a style that I really like I stick to it in a few different colors.

I shop everywhere, don't look at labels and always return things that don't work.  I like having nice things, I just try to be picky about them.  I have very nice jewelry because it always fits.  I read InStyle, all the time wishing I had the funds to follow their suggestions.  I check out Fab.com and Piperlime, as well as any sites mentioned in magazines.  Then I finish my spree at the Gap, J.Crew or Zappos.  Whether or not it's subliminal I'm not sure, but it's a great method for me.

My lifestyle doesn't allow for extravagant shopping.  I believe in splurging every now and then.  It's healthy and makes a piece special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!