a Tale of Two Biddies

Crazy day.

Things started seemingly fine and normal, until I left the house.  Sophie, one of my sweet little pups needed a serious grooming session.  So, per request I took the little white fur ball to the pet salon.  The very second I opened the shop door she must have realized where we were because she took off like a rocket.  Like I said, she's tiny and I've honestly never seen her run, but I have never seen anything like this.  She was running full throttle down a major busy street like some kind of golf ball or something.  *I started to chase her and was yelling her name in a horrible voice I did not recognize.

*Note: I don't like running, nor am I any good at it.  I really wish I did.  I've never been fast and have always been so insecure about how I look.  What am I supposed to do with my hands?  Make a fist, flap them like a bird?  Don't get me started on becoming more than 100% aware of all the wiggling and jiggling.  It's just never really been my thing.  But if something happens, such as a dog running through traffic, I'll huff and puff as fast as I possibly can.

At the end of the parking lot I realized I was in trouble, and so was precious Sophie.  I watched her dart all over the place, screaming her name.  Suddenly I felt feet behind me, and out of the corner of my eye this very fast (and very attractive) guy is right up next to me, kinda smiles and basically says, "I got this."  It was a feeling of relief I can't find the right words for, and felt vaguely familiar, almost like I'd seen it in a movie.

He got her.  He somehow got her to stop, turn around and then poop.  Then she went to him.  Meanwhile, a bus and cars are stopped in the street to avoid running over a dog.  I turned around and there were about three other guys behind me, panting.  I had no idea and immediately felt embarrassed.  They were so nice, introduced themselves, one was the owner of the pet salon and the other guys were groomers who worked for him.  Lamar the Lightning Rod had Sophie close to his chest and seemed flattered when I commented on his speed.  He had run track in high school, so he was definitely in the right field--chasing dogs.  They may have been trying to comfort me by telling me that it was not a first time rescue mission.  Everything was  fine, but I immediately called my client to let her know what had happened.  I'm fairly certain I didn't lose their business.

I mean, come on.  She's adorable.  And pooped, apparently.

So, on to biddie numero dos.

Just an observation, but sometimes after a manicure, pedicure, massage or facial or such a service, there's an odd air between the giver and receiver.  It sometimes makes me think of what it would be like if a John paid his hooker for the night.  You know, straight faces, both a little timid and yet something kind of personal just went on between the two of them.  It's an up close and personal kind of business, and everyone has their own scent, so to speak.  I think it is important we keep our hygiene in check.  Mints, perfume or body oil…if someone is putting their face super close to mine, we are bound to smell each other.  That's one thing I love about the Laura Mercier counter--they always have Altoids.

Anyway, I got a facial later in the day.  I swear by Groupon, but they seem to be hit or miss.  I went to a place I have never heard of because it was supposed to be $29.  Yeah, right.

Things started out semi-okay.  The aesthetician, Khandi, was very nice and eager.  Unfortunately, bless her heart, she had a bit of a speech impediment, so I don't think I caught the bit about the $30 upgrade.  I laid there for an hour trying to pretend to be asleep.  I've had facials at multiple places, but each one seemed to have some type of mask or scrub or cleansing property.  Khandi just kept putting crap on my face.  "Youlth feelth a bith of a thingle" she warned, but it felt much more like a sunburn.  I swear, with each new step I was scared.  The discomfort of extractions are rough; they feel like needles on fire burning into the skin, I was trying not to sneeze while biting my tongue to keep from yelping.  She put a hot towel on my face for about two seconds, and I all I could hear was my inner monologue saying, "Wait, no!  Put that back on, please for the love of all things holy!"  The burning sensation ebbed, but there was still lots going on with my face.  How many different creams, toners or cleansers are there I am not sure, but Khandi used them all.  Not to mention, something that smelled like pizza.  Dammit if I didn't get hungry.

The best part: after all the rubbing, the gunk and the anxiety, she said something about a powder, and before I knew it she was dusting my face with some odd-smelling stuff.  Powder????  I then began to fear she had actually spent all that time putting clown makeup on me.  "Youlth wanda see tha preddy faith?"  A mirror appeared, and while I was relieved to see I looked ok, I had to lie, "looks great, thanks."  I looked like a ghost.  In the past I have looked more of a tomato color after a facial.  Whatever, all I wanted to do was wash my face, an abnormal reaction to just having paid someone else to do it.  I paid (for the unexpected upgrade) and stopped for pizza on the way home.

Actually, I got sushi, but doesn't it make a better ending if I had gotten pizza??  The moral of the story is this: I probably won't be getting another Groupon facial anytime soon, and I recommend the Beautique Day Spa and Salon in Rice Village for a really good one, I believe about $60.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!