Common Sense for Dummies

Remember I mentioned getting a job?  I did, and today was supposed to be a payday.  A big one, in fact.  I went ahead and imagined my financial life would provide me with some things I need, such as a place to live, food to eat and liquor.  But two days ago I tried to access my "employee account" through the job's website and had no luck.  I kept trying all day.  I called every single number listed and emailed every single address I could possibly find.  Now you know what I've been up to for the past three days.

I was scammed.  I fell for the whole thing, hook, line and sinker: the pay was good, it offered benefits and a lax schedule.  I clearly did not heed the advice of "if it's too good to be true, then it is."  I wanted to believe that sometimes you get a break.  I also thought it would be a nice change to see the positive in someone or something, but most of all I wanted to prove everyone wrong.  Now I am using my soul as a punching bag.  For all I know I could have been paying for children sex slaves or terrorist groups!  (The job was paying people, in a nutshell)

Stupidity, naiveté and possibly laziness have finally pushed me over the edge.  It's completely my own fault, though I did find some relief from A.J. at Chase that it looked legit.  And, the story of my life: he'd never seen anything like it.  That provided some comfort.  I truly don't believe it's an identity theft kind of thing, but maybe I was doing some kind of illegal activity.

It's funny, you know how parents always say "kids didn't come with a manual!" because now I just want something that tells me what to do step by step.  There have been many disappointments in my life, but the one constant is me.  It would be great to laugh about this, and maybe I will next week.  But right now it's much more devastating because I don't have much money, and now I have to go into a branch myself, withdraw the money myself and have it approved by a senior banker or whoever.  I immediately reacted and went to the bank to freeze my account and have already filed complaints with the BBB and Texas Workforce Commission.  I'll keep you posted, as I am sure you want to be!!

I got my first job at 16.  I worked in college.  I had a job right out of college, and I loved my job selling clothes.  But in the past three years I have been fired 2.5 times.  I say half because I don't completely count this debacle as being fired, just unpaid.  It starts to become a bit of a trauma situation, getting fired or quitting before you are actually fired.    

The fact that I have so much experience in this department says nothing about me, unfortunately.  It's scary, because it feels like it can define us, but I know that I am a good person (despite the possible child slavery ring stuff) and I am smart.  But I am also terribly stubborn and despise the idea of an office job and some sort of routine.

Recently my mom told me a story about being a newborn.  I was the second child, and with the first she didn't really know what to do so her mother helped out a bit in the beginning.  But when I came, my grandmother must have thought things would be that way.  She was holding me and I was crying and crying.  My mom said, "I can do it," held me and I stopped crying.  She said she had never felt something so strongly and I love the story, especially hearing my mom tell it.  Only problem is I'm still like that!  Yes, my mom could do it again with more ease and confidence, but the rest has been up to me and will continue to be.

This sucks right now, and I am very blue about it.  But I will get over it, it's just another adventure in my silly existence.  And if you are thinking about taking a job or you're skeptical about something, let me know and I can walk you through it.  I've been through just about everything.  This definitely takes the cake for now, though!

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and become a toll booth collector!?  (wink)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!