Feast or Famine

I have been a terrible blog host by not writing for quite some time.  But, all the time spent away has only created more adventures and hijinks to write about!

Today marks two full weeks of dog sitting.  Lots of dog sitting!  More business just kept coming, and I am not one to turn it away, especially considering that I was free all day.  Which was no longer the case after the first day of the first job.  I literally found a job that is not off the internet and not some scam.  An old friend owns a bridal shop and she needed help--immediately.  As it turns out, Fortunata, her only consultant, was not so fortunate as her namesake would have you believe.  She was hit by a car and seriously injured.  When Emma reached out about filling in, I was ecstatic.  While I can forgo any type of big wedding of my own, I found such a job to be ironic for me.  But it turns out that it's even better than any kind of retail: there is very little inventory, when it's sold it's sold, and there is little to no pressure of making a sale.  

My new boss, Emma, is amazing.  She is very good at what she does and it's a learning experience like no other.  Plus, it's just the two of us!  I am not expected to be standing, cleaning or pushing sales the whole time.  And the hours are nearly perfect.  So imagine my overwhelming good fortune to receive a call about another job offer I looked into a month ago.  I am potentially choosing between two different jobs after being unemployed for three months!!  The other offer involves animals, which I love.

Speaking of animals, have you any idea what it's like to be locked out of a house in the summer in the middle of the night?  I have more than once, but it happened with two houses last night alone.  Yes, two houses in one night, no keys.  I've been here, there and everywhere with so many different pets that I honestly never thought I would sleep in my own bed again.  It was after 10:30 at night, I was in a tank top and pjs when I realized I shut the automatic lock door behind me.  No big deal, I thought they were in my car.  NOPE.  I then spent the next 30 minutes calling everyone on the "contacts" list the parents had given me.  Turns out there was a secret passage, so to speak.  Once I was back inside, I dumped weeks worth of clothes, makeup, shoes and toiletries on the floor.  I went through each single piece, every t-shirt, pants, shorts, only to come up with nothing.  Not even the first key I had lost on Sunday to another house, which I was positive was mixed in with my stuff!!!!  My concern turned to the dog left alone who I had promised I would be back in a while.  Poor little buddy, all alone and waiting for me.  He's a dog I have cared for a few years and I am extremely attached.  So, while still rifling through all my crap I took an anti-anxiety pill and a couple of beta blockers.  Maybe more than just one or two, to be honest.  It wasn't long until I felt a little dizzy, but in that good kind of way--like "I'm going to get some good sleep!" kind.  In the back of my mind I was really laughing because I had just ordered a lock picking set and book for such situations, only it hasn't come yet.

The other little rascal was ok.  I had to wait for the housekeeper to get there before I could get in.  I knocked, rang the doorbell and waited.  Finally I called another key owner and got that copy.  The housekeeper had been there the entire morning.  So you can see the feast of business and opportunity, but the potential famine possible. 

There was an episode of "Seinfeld" where Jerry always breaks even.  One venue cancels, another one calls to book him.  Déjà vu---a job was canceled Monday, then I received a call for another during the exact time I was originally booked!

Now, the famine in life has been potent: lack of relationships, lack of a career or job.  Sometimes I worry people think I could be gay because I have been single so long.  Not there's anything wrong with being gay.  But I am not.  And it helps for other people to know that so they can think of good people to set me up with!  I'll be 31 next month and have yet to pin down an actual lifestyle that resembles any kind of maturity.  There's a lot of truth behind the theory that "something else will come up."  But why all at once?  Obviously I'll take good news or luck whenever possible, but it would be so much healthier for me if it was at something of a steady, consistent pace, you know?  

Mistakes are to teach us lessons.  Sadly, it's really the only way I learn.  Today was spent ordering a number of "remote key finders" to be in my possession ASAP, which will only take up space and money because I won't need them.  But it goes back to "feast or famine," not enough or too many.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!