That's the Name they Gave me

Oftentimes when I am in a situation where my name is to be shouted out, I just use the nickname "Mac."  No, it's not an actual nickname of mine, nor is it a very girly moniker.  But it's quick, easy to say and easy to understand.  Surprisingly, "Shannon" is tricky for most.

When I lived in Spain, my name in the household was "rubia" because my señora could not say "Shannon."  It became my name in public, too.  At a Starbucks I noticed my amigos were giving themselves pet names as well.  Aubin went by "Sarah" and Amanda went by "Maria" because otherwise we didn't know our drink was ready.  I preferred the quizzical smirks from the Spanish baristas than my drink turning cold.

Fortunately most of Starbucks language is universal


A while ago I used "Mac" when I was with friends.  One got quite a chuckle out of it.  And I guess I get that--it's not something normally used or heard.  But you know, my granddad went by the name Mac and for some reason it makes me feel close to him (we never met).

Again, an experience at Starbucks: a girl with what looked like an actual dog collar and the deepest voice in the world asked me to spell my name.  I can't remember the last time someone requested the correct spelling, especially because this is what she asked: you know, some people spell it "CH."  No they don't.  I realize she hears a lot of names all day but I can almost guarantee that is not one of them.  And even if there were such a person, it's not unreasonable to assume it's spelled "SH," just as Katherine can be spelled multiple ways.

No joke, I think this might have been what she was sporting!


The whole thing kind of caught me off guard...not the spelling of my name, but the woman's deep, deep voice and very thick choker.  I had to do a double take because I really thought there was something tethering her.  My total was $4.47, and I handed her a five dollar bill.  No joke, she opened the register and said, "have a great day, thanks" without so much as looking at me.  I wasn't going to get my 53 cents!!  I am generally amazing about tipping, but not when it's just taken from me!

It's good karma I guess.


I just think that one of these instances alone could be odd enough, but the fact they both occurred at the same time makes it a better story.

Just a "normal" Tuesday morning...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Children Better be Our Future!

Queer as Folk

Phelps, Lochte and Wieber, oh my!